The southern peninsula of Peloponnese – the best place in all Greece. Here are Agamemnon’s palace in Mycenae, theatre in Epidavra and Olympia where one thousand years there passed Olympic Games. Medieval constructions too impress is a fortress Akrokorinf, houses fortresses and churches with frescos in Manya, the Byzantian cities of Mistras and Monemvasiya. Peloponnessky beaches in particular on the west bank – the best and the least built up. From Athens here it is most convenient to go through Corinth, on this route buses and trains often go. It is possible to reach on a high-speed vessel, on the South from Piraeus by Argo-Saronichesky islands to Monemvasiya. The main port for vessels from Italy and Adriatic Sea – Patras. Offices of City Info Center (2610 461 740) and tourist’s police (2610 451 833) are at pier of the Italian vessels, and the main autostation (2610 273 936) and жд the station – on the embankment. Hostel (2610 427 278, 10 euros) in one and a half km from the centre, Iroon Polytekhniou 62.
Corinth which was the capital of the Roman province Akhaya, supervised a trading way between a northern part of Greece and Peloponnese. It is reasonable that the city other policies and the people always tried to grasp up to its destruction in 146. The city stayed in ruins while it have not returned at Julius Caesar in 44. Ruins of the city are on the mountain Akrokorinf. That everything to examine, the whole day is required, and it is even better тормознуть somewhere nearby. The settlement Arkhea Korinfos is located in a zone of archeological excavations. It is possible will stop in Hotel Shadow hotel (27410 31481;), it is possible to remove personal housing also. From Athens and Patras often goes to Corinth buses and trains, from the station to ruins it is possible to reach by the local bus. On a place of the main excavation (once a day, 8. 00-17. 00/19. 00, 6 euros) there was an ancient Roman city. An entrance from South side, directly Roman Agora. Vobshchem, the main sight – Apollo’s Greek temple (V century BC) with seven Doric columns. At height of 575 m over the bottom city Akrokorinf (summer of times a day, 8 towers. 00-19. 00; in the winter, W-vs 8. 30-15. 00, entrance своб.) – the rocky massif which is surrounded with a wall in extent of 2 km. In the Middle Ages the Corinthian acropolis was one of the most powerful fortresses of Greece. Lifting uphill – 4 km (about an hour of a way). There it is possible to wander among dilapidated часовен, mosques, dwellings and strengthenings which Greeks, Romans, Byzantines built alternately, francs, Venetians and Turks.
Mr. on an abrupt slope of the mountain Tayetos – absolutely Byzantian small town which was occupied by 20 thousand people. The fortress at top of the mountain has been constructed in 1249 by Guillaume II de Vilyarduen, the fourth franksky prince of the Seas (Peloponnese so was called). In 1262 Byzantines have forced out francs. This territory in a southeast part of Peloponnese was rather independent of Constantinople, here in XIV – нач. The XV centuries the brilliant culture has blossomed. Mistra has got under the power the Turk in 1460, i.e. seven years later after a gain them Constantinople. To the Byzantian city (once a day 8. 00/8. 30-15. 00/19. 00; 5 euros) are two entrances from Neos Mystras Road; it is better to reach by the bus to a head entrance and later is weakened to survey vicinities, going down. First you will see church Aja Sofia XIV century with a beautiful marble floor. Constructions of francs of the XIII century (though reconstructed) can be beheld in Castro. From Aja Sofia on the right ruins of the Byzantian palace, but it is better to go on it is left and to look at Napflion’s Gate and so-called. Palace of the Despot. If to turn on the right from Monemvasiya’s Gate (connecting the top and bottom city), it is possible to reach a monastery Pandanassa. The name of a monastery is meant by "The queen of the world». Monastic constructions have perfectly remained, at their fine proportions. By all means it is necessary to examine a small monastery of Perivleptos where in one-dome church (partially cut down in the mountain), beautiful frescos which practically all are dated XIV century have remained. Mistra’s oldest church since 1270 – the temple Mitropolis (XIV century). The marble tile with the Byzantian two-headed eagle has noted a place of crowning of Konstantin XI (1449) the last governor from a dynasty Paleologov. But the small settlement Neos-Mistras is some taverns. Here one-day bus excursions because of the low prices are organised. Hotels here a little; there is Hotel Byzantion (27310 83309; byzanhtl@otenet. gr) and Khristina Vahaviolou (27310 20047), the Excellent candidate – type Cecil, Paleologou 125 hotels (27310 24980), and Apollon, Thermopilon 84 (27310 22 491). There are campings: Paleologio Mystras (27310 22724), 2, 5 km from Sparta; near Castle View to Mistra (27310 93303). Near Sparta there are good restaurants – Averof, Paleologou 77, and Diethnes, Paleologou 105. The autostation of Sparta is on east suburb to Lycurgus, but buses on Mistra stop at an intersection of streets of Lykourgou and Leonidhou, on West side of a main square.
Ancient Mycenae is in mountains in 2 km from the settlement of Mycenae, the highway Corinth-Argos. Agamemnon’s palace has been found in 1874 by the German archeologist G. Shliman who found proofs of truthfulness of Homer. The constructions opened by Shliman are dated 1950-1100. An entrance in a fortress (once a day 8. 00-17. 00/19. 00, 6 euros) through great Lion’s gate. Behind walls the burial ground And where, according to Shliman, Agamemnon and his confidants killed after return from Troy are buried on the right is located. Actually burials for three centuries are more senior, but they surely imperial, and found in their thing magnificent (A municipal archaeological museum of Athens). Shliman considered the big Southern house as Agamemnon’s palace. But the Imperial palace opened later, – cooler construction. It has been reconstructed in the XIII century BC, maybe, to a descent with Lion’s gate, and has the Big yard. Small rooms in the north could be rooms of the tsar, and in one of them the bathroom where type have killed Agamemnon has remained. It was possible to live in a fortress only to representatives of ruling elite, simple people lodged behind fortifications. 5 minutes of walking from the main sights there is Atrey’s so-called treasury – an imperial vaulted tomb in which conducts a great corridor in length of 15 m. Over an entrance in the funeral chamber two big stone plates – one of them (are established length – 9 m) weigh 118 t. The station is located in Fikhti, in 2 km from Mycenae, KTEL buses here go. In Athens excursions to Mycenae will be organised. Тормознуть it is possible in Rooms Dassis (27510 76 123). Hotel Belle Helene (27510 76225) in a camping – Mycenae (27510 76 121) and Atreus (27510 76 221). In the settlement there are a lot of small restaurants, all of them offer dinners in the course of excursion.
Napflion and Epidavr
Napflion – the small town located in a wonderful place which was the first capital of modern Greece. From here with comfort to begin survey of a resort zone of Argolid. In the main fort of Palamidkhi (once a day 8. 00-17. 00/19. 00, 4 euros) conduct 899 steps from Polyzoidhou Street from the Venetian bastion. Three fortresses were built by Venetians in the 1710th. The fortress of Akronafplia is on a place of an old acropolis. The fort of Burtzi is located on the peninsula near a bay; Venetians partitioned off the channel a chain. Platia Syndagmatos Osnovnaya Square – a place where it is possible to relax and drink a coffee cup. Buses arrive to Syngrou, to the south of Platia Trion Navarhon and Platia Kapodhistria areas. the new station is located on the embankment, approximately in six hundred metres to the North. EOT tourist’s bureaus are located about 25-Martiou 2 (once a day 9. 00-13. 00 and 16. 00-20. 00; 27520 24 444). Local hotels are expensive, there is cheap Hotel of Esopotoi (27520 23955) 15 minutes. from the centre for the address Argonafton 22. It is possible to find not bad personal housing, mostly on Akronafpliya’s northern slope. It is possible to eat in Kakanarakis, Vassilisis ilgas 18 and Omorfi Tavernaki 16. From VI century BC Epidavr located in 30 km to the east of Napflion, was the religious centre and huge аква the resort. Asklepy’s sanctuary was very known place. Perfectly remained theatre on 14 thousand places (once a day 8. 00-17. 00/19. 00, 6 euros) it is successfully entered in a landscape IV century BC. This construction differed charming acoustics: from the last, 54, a row it was possible to hear a roar of a coin which has fallen on орхестру. A row has located a small museum (ин 12. 00-17. 00/19. 00, W-vs 8. 00-17. 00/19. 00, the ticket price as at theatre) with a sculpture and slices of friezes At a sanctuary were clinics, dwellings of priests and vrachevatel, hotels and entertaining institutions. The most part of tourists comes from Napflion in Epidavr per day, but it is interesting to look at evening theatrical representation (June-avg., пт and сб; www. greekfestival. gr). It is possible to put tent near autostation or to lodge in ЛИГУРИО, in 5 km to the North, in Hotel Alkyon hotel (27530 22002).
On the mountain Monemvasy’s Byzantian port – very attractive place fanned by history towers. In нач. XIII century it was the unique possession of Byzantium in Moray. In 1249 Monemvasiya has been won by francs after the 3rd years of a siege. This largest port of the Seas has been redeemed thanks to Guillaume de Vilyarduen’s capture. At the time of the Byzantian sovereignty Monemvasiya’s population made actually 60 thousand people. In Monemvasiya it is possible to reach by land or (that is better) the sea. In the summer hydrofoils, from Piraeus to Argo-Saronichesky islands with stops along a dam here ply. Buses go from Sparta to Athens 3 times a day and only in 2 times a day (during a season) with Itkhio and arrive to Efir’s settlement on the continent where it is possible to lodge. Some suitable hotels are near a dam: it is possible to lodge in Monemvassia (27320 61381), in boards and personal flats. The near camping of Kapsis Paradise is in 3, 5 km from Efira near a beach. The housing located above, is even more expensive and is calculated on richer public: it is possible will stop in the old institution Malvasia (27320 61323;). The best tavern in the old city – Matoula. In the bottom city once there were 40 churches and more than eight hundred houses. On the main street there are a lot of restored houses, cafe, taverns and shops. The monumental cathedral Mitropolis is constructed by the Byzantian tsar Andronik Komnin of II in 1293 (it is big medieval church in the southern Greece). St. Peter’s church (X-th century), here on the area, has been transformed by Turks in a mosque, now it is a museum. The church Hrisafitissa, on the way to the sea, has been reconstructed by Venetians in the XVIII century. It is interesting to sight-see the Top city, which fortifikatsionny constructions (as well as in Nizhny the city) have remained; behind fortifications one ruins.
Itkhio and Manya’s peninsula
Itkhio – the starenky port of Sparta and "gate" of the peninsula of Manya, one of the most beautiful cities of the southern coast. Vessels from time to time come into Itkhio’s silent bay. Here beautiful embankment of the XIX century. Behind a dam the island of Marafonissi (in the ancient time it was called as Krane) where have spent the first night Paris and Elena after flight from Sparta is located. Buses arrive to the small town centre where hotels are located along Vassileos Pavlou Embankment, it is possible to lodge in Matina board (27330 22518) in the house No. 19. Some summer campings (including Meltemi and Gythion Bay) are on a big beach of Mavrovouni. It is possible to eat in Iy Nautila or Korali ouzeris in harbour. The most southern peninsula of Greece of Manya lasts from Itkhio in the east and Kalamata in the West to Tenaro’s cape where, according to the legend, there is an entrance in an underground kingdom. It is the wild and droughty area with original culture where practically everything reminds of the Middle Ages. It is most convenient to go by the bus from Itkhio to Areopolis. It is possible тормознуть in old houses, for example in Pyrgos Tsimova (27330 51301), or in Hotel Kouris hotel on a main square (27330 51340). Buses quite often go from here in Stoup, Kardamili and Kalamat (usually with change to Itilo). The district to the North from Areopolis, along the eight-kilometre highway on Kalamata is more beautiful. Paths комфортабельны for pedestrian walks, small beaches begin in Ayos-Nikolaos where there are fish restaurants and personal housing, for example Skafidakia (27210 77698;), so to Kardamili. Stoup, with the best sandy beaches, it is chosen by English tourists, will best of all stop in Lefktron (27210 77322;) – a camping 5 minutes of walking from Kalogry’s beach, with a supermarket and restaurants. Kardamili, In 8 KM to the north, – a beautiful place, despite rough commercialisation and the brisk route. Good numbers are in Lelan’s (27210 73541;) . If you reach Kalamata, it is absolutely enough to examine starenky Pilos, Metoni’s medieval fortresses and Caroni and to descend on Finikund’s cool beach.
From the historical point of view with Olympia where more than one thousand years passed vsegrechesky games, Delfy and Mycenae can compete only. The ancient sanctuary settled down in the river plain Alfey at a mountain foot Cronus. Competitions in Olympia have begun, maybe, in the XI century BC, within 2 next centuries the local holiday has turned into competitions of athletes from all Greece which were carried out time in four years. Olympic Games have been cancelled by tsar Feodosiy in the IV century AD. His successor destroyed temples. The river Alfey has spread, the territory of an old sanctuary has been covered with sand and silt till 1870th. An entrance on the sanctuary district (once a day 8. 00/8. 30-15. 00/19. 00, 6 euros and 9 euros with museum visit) from the West. In the great temple of the Doric warrant there was Zeus statue from gold and an ivory – great Pheidias’s creation. Zeus Olimpiyskogo’s temple (470-456 BC) let’s compare on scales to Parthenon, and on beauty and richness of furniture he competed to temples of Athens. On an altar before Zeus statue fire since the beginning of Olympic Games and to the next spring burnt. On modern Olympic Games too light fire – an echo of old tradition. Behind Zeus temple there was the smaller sizes Hera’s temple; before its construction in the VII century BC in a sanctuary there were only open altars devoted to Zeus and other gods. Hera’s temple has been reconstructed in the VI century BC. At Stadium in Olympia length of a path of 200 m, start and finish strips, also judgment seats have remained. The stadium contained to 30 thousand guests. On the Hippodrome races on chariots were arranged. There is an Archaeological museum (пн 11. 00/12. 00-17. 00/19. 00, W-vs 8. 00-8. 30/17. 00/19. 00, 6 euros) where statues from Zeus Olimpiyskogo’s temple are exhibited. The most popular statue – Hermes of Praksitel’s work (IV century BC) perfectly remained, with colouring traces. The most part of tourists comes to Olympia through Pirgos by personal buses, also by buses to Patras and to Kalamata. Modern Olympia was under construction taking into account archeological excavations. The most available hotel Hermes (26240 22577) at church. Is hosted about Praxiteles Kondhili 18 (26240 22580, 9 euros). The near camping of Diana is located at the main route, here good conditions, there is a pool. Restaurants offer ordinary food at the high prices, not including a good grill bar of Kladhios at the river.